Gulf Region Volunteer Trip

A sixth Rejuvenate trip to the Gulf Region will take place from Monday, October 19th through Friday, October 23rd. In partnership with the Habitat for Humanity Bay-Waveland Area, 26 SEI employees and seven other prior volunteers will work on a new build in Waveland, MS to provide much needed help for a community still reeling from the effects of Hurricane Katrina. This blog will be written by SEI employees during their week of volunteerism. Thank you for reading the blog and for your support!

Friday, May 09, 2008

Goin' Back to Mississippi


I own a cat. He is vicious. He is needy. He will be dearly missed. However he shall sleep in an air-conditioned apartment, 90% of the time I am away, and I will be experiencing something quite the opposite. But waking up before dawn each morning, bussing to the worksite swarming with lovebugs, on a roof under the southern sun (that is melting my lunch bag in the van into a tiny pond beneath my seat), is exactly what I signed up for. I have my 28 ounce Estwing hammer and by each new day before our departure to Mississippi, I feel a more intense need to be roofing at all times. No kidding. You get involved in a volunteer effort like this and you'll find a similar energy. In fact, this will be the third time that I have volunteered for the Gulf Trip but I find that I am more eager than ever to participate and to help. I’ve seen the devastation and I’ve seen how the Habitat and SEI volunteers make a difference. We are all leaving family, friends, pets, and full-time jobs at SEI behind to be framers and roofers for families we have never met. Families that have lost everything. There’s really so much to be done still. So I am glad you are visiting this blog and hope you will continue to come here and read of our efforts. You’re here too after all, by supporting our fundraising efforts and simply by reading this blog, you're apart of this all. We can’t thank you enough. We hope to make you proud and we will try and do so by making a difference eight homes at a time, here in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi.

Yours,
Alan

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Albie, I hope the southern sun doesn't melt your sense of humor!

4:59 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

8:40 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home