Second day at the site
As Robb mentioned, we are having trouble getting wireless access. So here Adrienne and I sit in McDonalds accesssing their WiFi. On vacation I assume most people avoid the fast food chains looking for some traditional local cuisine. But about now, McDonalds is gourmet.
Apparently from the last volunteers, the camp we are staying at is even more humble than the first. I am generally pretty easy going when it comes to "rustic" situations, but this is even pushing the limits. In general our cabins are OK. They are basically big garden sheds with 12 bunk beds made from 2x4 wood. There is a 2 inch plastic mattress between yourself and the plywood. Also - in the cabin is one shower and one bathroom. With 12 woman in a cabin - that is posing an interesting challenge. We were told that they had "common" showers...but that turned out to be only two additional showers. So we definitely are learning to take quick ones. On a GREAT note, the showers have hot water and the pressure is good. If I could only get rid of the sulfer smell from the water, life would be great.
The first day at the site was incredible. It was amazing how it went from a raw shell to a fully enclosed home in 8 hours. Today was even better. I learned how to put in windows and put up siding. It is really tiring work - but very rewarding.
Habitat families must put in 200 hours of labor in order to get their home. So we are working side by side with the family, helping build their dream. They are first time home owners and are currently living in a FIMA trailer. They are so excited to call something their own.
Last night one of SEI's clients, Hancock Bank, rewarded us with an incredible southern cook out. They were such gracious hosts - I felt like I was with family. Batterdipped catfish started the affair and it ended with incredibley delicious bread pudding. I think most people went back for second helpings. Their were about 10 folks from the bank and they brought their family and friends. It was such a heartfelt experience. They told us of all of their situations and the crazy weeks, months and years of chaos that Katrina has brought to their lives. They could not stop thanking us for coming down and helping them. They were most impressed that we remembered them and wanted to help them- even though the catastrophe happened almost two years ago.
It's 5:30pm on Tuesday - and Adrienne and I sit in McDonalds with our computers. We are tired - full of caulk, dirt and paint - but happy as can be. Tonight lots of us are going out bowling. We've made some friends on the job site - so we've invited them as well. Some folks are from Americorp - while others come down as individuals, lending a hand.
I am hoping that tomorrow I can put up some pictures of our progress - it really is incredible to see.
Signing off until tomorrow - Ria
Labels: Spring 2007 trip

2 Comments:
Hi Guys,
It is so bittersweet to read the blogs. On the one hand I am sure glad to be sleeping in my comfy bed but on the other hand it is hard not to be there helping. So the sleeping conditions are a bit rough but is the food any better?
I am sure Joe is keeping y'all entertained!
Lost in BV
Food is not better unfortunately. We're opting to eat out as much or more than last time.
Joe is defintely keeping us entertained.
We miss you!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home