Gulf Region Volunteer Trip

A sixth Rejuvenate trip to the Gulf Region will take place from Monday, October 19th through Friday, October 23rd. In partnership with the Habitat for Humanity Bay-Waveland Area, 26 SEI employees and seven other prior volunteers will work on a new build in Waveland, MS to provide much needed help for a community still reeling from the effects of Hurricane Katrina. This blog will be written by SEI employees during their week of volunteerism. Thank you for reading the blog and for your support!

Monday, November 05, 2007

So Rewarding...and it's only day one!

So today was the actual first day of the SEI Gulf Region Trip. We broke into different groups. Some of the us went to Bayside Habitat for Humanity project and the others went to the Diamond Head Habitat for Humanity project.

The Bayside project consists of sevaral homes that were in need of finishing work and prebuilding several homes in preparation for a blitz build that will be taken place next week.

The Diamond Head project consists of buidling a brand new house for a family.

I have chosen to be on the group that is doing the finishing work @ Bayside.

Let me tell you what, even though it is the first day, it has already been rewarding. We have already put the finishing touches on 2 complete homes. Now all that is needed is for the flooring contractor, the plumber and the electrician to come to finish up. Once that is done the appliances can be delivered and the families get to move in.

Some of us hasn't yet met the families for the new houses but hopefully they are going to stop by in the next day or so.

So that is my experience so far.... On a side note, I did however manage to ruin a pair of shoes when I fell into a hole of mud. I know what your thinking..."How could that happen?" Well, I thought I would be rambunctioius and start doing some site clean up. I was a going to pick up a bottle that was in a ditch, when I put my foot on the ground, it sank down about two feet.

So for about an hour or so I limped around shoeless, because I was tying to clean my shoe and it was very wet.

On lighter note, I got to buy some new shoes!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home