Gulf Region Volunteer Trip

A sixth Rejuvenate trip to the Gulf Region will take place from Monday, October 19th through Friday, October 23rd. In partnership with the Habitat for Humanity Bay-Waveland Area, 26 SEI employees and seven other prior volunteers will work on a new build in Waveland, MS to provide much needed help for a community still reeling from the effects of Hurricane Katrina. This blog will be written by SEI employees during their week of volunteerism. Thank you for reading the blog and for your support!

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Not much sun today...

Today was pretty cool outside - however not nearly as bad at home - and the majority of us were in long sleeve t-shirts and sweatshirts. We spent most of the day inside houses so that kept the chill in us as well. This morning flooring crew continued their work (they are now pros) and rest of our team started a "pre-build" for one of the houses that will be blitz-built next week. That involved cutting pieces of wood and hammering a few things together. Let's just say that I really have no clue how to use a tape measure properly and I am TERRIBLE at hammering nails! So, I ended up working with Christina to cut the pieces to length using some sort of saw thing. I had no idea how good it felt to be able to use power tools! After that we cleaned up a few houses and began to finish them off (painting trim, prepping the floors, installing locks etc).

Today I believe that we are all getting used to the manual labor and are not nearly as tired as we were the past 2 days. It is hard to believe that the 53 of us actually sit behind desks! Anyway, please keep reading our posts and commenting on them. We really look forward to hearing what you have to say...we talk about it every morning. There should be some more pictures up soon, I believe that we just have to get the time to shrink the size of them to be uploaded.

-Mindy

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, keep using that "saw thing" and maybe you can help your parents do repairs around the house. I'm glad you're having a good experience. Nelson Shenk

9:28 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

i miss you & the squish! keep working hard & being a good inspiration to those less fortunate. call me when you get home!!
love,
samantha

9:35 PM EST  
Blogger Robb Muse said...

Team:

You're doing great work - keep it up. Also, keep those great blog entries and pics coming.

- Robb

8:46 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make us all proud. Keep up the good work!

Deborah in Legal

9:42 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y'all are doing a woderfull thing. I am a local but travel to SEI once a month for a week. I support the AS/400. My parents were flooded out and had the kind of help y'all are providing. We were very grateful and had a wonderful crew. It certainly help my parents get over their loss. After months of seeing my mother looking sad she had a smile on her face again. So I want to thank all of you for being so generous and helping these families out.

Our crew fell in love with Barq's rootbeer which my parents kept them supplied with. So if you get the chance you may want to try it. It is produced by Coke but originated in Biloxi by the Barq's family. The formula was sold to Coke on the condition they can not change the formula.

10:14 AM EST  
Blogger Frank Sykes said...

Good work CLee! But PLEASE stay away from the power tools! You injured yourself last time with a hammer. Go take a nap...

Frank

10:17 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can all be very proud of the work you are doing. I know I am extremely proud of my daughter for wanting to take part in this.
I am sure the people you are doing this for are extremely grateful as well.

Bless you all!

11:28 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home